1. How much does it cost to rent a car in Oslo?
Rental costs can vary widely depending on the type of car and time of year. On average, expect to pay between $40 and $100 per day.
2. Why is it a good idea to rent a car in Oslo?
Renting a car in Oslo allows you the flexibility to explore not just the city but the stunning landscapes of Norway at your own pace.
3. What is the most demanded car model for hire in Oslo?
Models like the Toyota Yaris, BMW i3, and Toyota Corolla are among the most popular choices for renters.
4. What are the most recommended rental companies in Oslo?
Reputable rental companies such as Alamo and Enterprise come highly recommended for their services in Oslo.
5. Which car rental companies offer the most affordable prices in Oslo?
While prices can vary, Alamo is often cited as one of the more affordable options.
6. Where are the top spots in Oslo to rent a car?
The most convenient locations tend to be the city center and the Oslo Airport.
7. Is there a 24 hr pick up/drop off service?
Yes, most major rental companies offer 24-hour pick-up and drop-off services, though it's best to confirm in advance.
8. What is the minimum age to rent a car in Oslo?
The minimum age to rent a car in Oslo is 19 years, although additional fees may apply to drivers under 25.
9. What type of driving license do I need to rent a car in Oslo?
Foreign drivers can use their domestic license, but an International Driving Permit is recommended for non-EU citizens.
10. What’s required to rent or drive a car in Oslo?
A valid driving license, credit card, and proof of insurance are generally required. Passports may be needed for foreign renters.
11. Is there a minimum hire period to rent a car?
There is typically no minimum hire period; cars can often be rented for as little as one day.
12. Can I pick up a car in Oslo and drop off in another city?
Yes, most companies offer one-way rentals, although a drop-off fee may apply.
13. Are speed cameras used in Norway?
Yes, speed cameras are commonly used across Norway, and fines for speeding can be high.
14. What's the best time of year to visit Oslo in a car?
Summer is a great time to visit, as the roads are clear and the days are long, providing plenty of daylight for sightseeing.
15. What are the principal airports in Oslo?
The main airport is Oslo Airport, Gardermoen (OSL), located about 35 kilometers northeast of the city.
16. How long does it take to drive a car from Oslo to Bergen?
The drive from Oslo to Bergen typically takes around 7 hours, though this can vary with traffic and weather.
17. How is parking in Oslo?
There's street parking in Oslo, but it's often easier to use one of the city's numerous parking garages. Note that electric vehicles park for free at municipal spots.
18. Are there any toll roads in and around Oslo?
Yes, there are a number of toll roads in and around Oslo, and most rental cars come equipped with an AutoPASS for toll payment. Fees are typically included in your car rental agreement.
19. Is it necessary to rent a 4WD car when driving in Oslo during winter?
While it's not strictly necessary, a 4WD vehicle can provide additional traction and handling if you're planning to drive in snowy or icy conditions. However, most important is that the car is equipped with winter tires.